- 1 part BBQ Salt (RANDY’S ALTERNATE LOWER SODIUM FROM-SCRATCH)
1 part brown sugar
- Yellow Mustard
- Apple juice and a spray bottle.
- Wash ribs and remove membrane.
- Rub ribs with a thin coat of mustard so the rub will stick.
- Coat ribs with the rub mixture:
- Per the “proper salting techniques” in the Food Trivia post, you need 3 Tablespoons of rub per 3 lb slab of ribs.
- I put one Tablespoon on the bone side and two Tablespoons on the meat side.
- If you have time, refrigerate the ribs for 4 hours before cooking.
- Lay the ribs, bone side down in a baking pan or place them on a rib rack.
- Smoke at 275 degrees for 2 to 3 hours or until meat pulls away from the ends if the bones about 1/4 inch.
- You will get more smoke on the ribs if you keep them wet on the outside.
- Spitz the ribs with apple juice every 30 minutes or so during the first 3 hours.
- Pour some apple juice in the bottom of a baking pan (about 1/4″ deep).
- Place the ribs bone side down and cover the pan with foil.
- Cook the ribs for 2 more hours.
- Turn off the heat, remove foil and place the ribs back in the oven for 1 hour to cool slowly and firm up the exterior.
NOTE: The last two steps can be done in the oven inside your house.