- A typical large spice container holds 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. by weight and 3.25-4 cups by volume. Measurements in this recipe are by volume.
- I prefer to use Granulated vs. Powdered spices. They should resist caking.
- Don’t use a bowl and a whisk to mix the ingredients.
- Use a full size steam table pan to mix in and use a potato masher to stir the spices.
Uncle Roger’s Original Recipe Ingredients:
(Rumored to be from a famous Oklahoma BBQ Restaurant circa 1975)
- 1 part chili powder
- 2 parts salt
- 1 part seasoning salt
- 1 part garlic salt
- 1 part meat tenderizer Adolph’s no MSG
- 1/8 part pepper
Randy’s Alternate Lower Sodium From-Scratch Recipe:
NOTE: Makes 5 large containers or about 10 lbs.
This rub is approximately half salt so…we can only use 1.5 to 2 tsp per lb of meat. If mixed 50% with brown sugar, we can use 3 to 4 tsp per lb.
- 2 parts Kosher Salt
- 1 parts Adolph’s No MSG Meat Tenderizer
- 0.5 parts Paprika
- 0.5 parts Granulated Garlic
- 0.125 parts Oregano
- 0.125 parts Granulated Onion
- 0.125 parts Sugar
- 0.125 parts Black Pepper
- 0.125 parts Cayenne Pepper
- 0.125 parts Cumin
- 6.5 Cups Kosher Salt (2 Sam’s Club size containers)
- 4 Cups Adolph’s No MSG Meat Tenderizer (1 Sam’s Club size container)
- 2 Cups Paprika (about 1/2 container)
- 2 Cups Granulated Garlic (about 1/2 container)
- 1/2 Cup Oregano
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Onion
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Cumin
- 72 oz. (4.5 lbs.) Kosher Salt
- 44 oz. Adolph’s No MSG Meat Tenderizer
- 9 oz. Paprika
- 13 oz. Granulated Garlic
- 1 oz. Oregano
- 2.75 oz. Granulated Onion
- 5.5 oz. Sugar
- 3.25 oz. Black Pepper
- 2.75 oz. Cayenne Pepper
- 2.5 oz. Cumin