Ingredients – 10lb recipe:
- 10 lbs ground pork
- 10 tsp sea salt – Ratio should be 0.2 oz. by weight per pound of meat. (Always weigh the salt.)
- 6 tsp brown sugar
- 2.5 tsp white pepper
- 5 tsp rubbed sage
- 1.25 tsp ginger
- 1.25 tsp nutmeg
- 2.5 tsp thyme ground
- 2.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2.5 tsp crushed red pepper flakes slightly ground
- 1.25 tsp fennel seed slightly ground
- 1.25 teaspoons mustard powder
- 5 Tablespoons lard (pork butt is too lean for sausage without it). You could also use bacon grease.
- 3/4 cup cold water
INGREDIENTS – 2lb recipe:
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 2 tsp sea salt – Ratio should be 0.2 oz. by weight per pound of meat.
- 1.25 tsp brown sugar
- .5 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- .25 tsp ginger
- .25 tsp nutmeg
- .5 tsp thyme ground
- .5 tsp cayenne pepper
- .5 tsp crushed red pepper flakes slightly ground
- .25 tsp fennel seed slightly ground
- .25 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 Tablespoons lard (pork butt is too lean for sausage without it). You could also use bacon grease.
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- Cut Pork Butt into 1.5″ chunks (or whatever will fit in your grinder)
- Dissolve the spices in cold water and mix into chopped meat.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Grind twice with large grinder plate.
- Refrigerate another 24 hours before freezing to allow the flavors to blend.
Substitute 1 peeled and sliced Granny Smith apple per 2 lbs of meat for the water in this recipe.