Skip to content
- 80 oz pork butt bone removed
- 2 tsp pink curing salt
- 11 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup course ground pepper
- Place in Ziplock bag and refrigerate
- Turn daily to distribute cure evenly
- On the 7th day, remove from wrapper, rinse off brine, dry and leave in refrigerator for 24 hours to develop a pellicle (skin).
- After rinsing, add black pepper to one side.
- Smoke at 200 degrees with applewood or other fruitwood (Mulberry) for about 3 hours until 150 degrees in the center
- Allow flavors to meld for 24 hours before slicing. (It is easier to slice if it is partially frozen).