Skip to content
I have several opinions about this:
- The meat should be very fine (not clumpy).
- The meat shouldn’t be greasy.
- Most of the flavor comes from a spicy gravy that is added after the meat is cooked.
- For larger batches, I prefer the Oven Method.
- 2 lbs. ground beef.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Gravy INGREDIENTS (for 2 lbs of meat):
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons beef bullion or beef base or 2 beef bullion cube
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons paprika
- 2 Tablespoons masa flour (or corn starch)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place the meat in a large skillet.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Brown the meat.
- Strain the meat through a colander pressing to remove all the grease.
- Discard the grease.
- Place the meat back into the pot.
- Add Gravy spices and enough water to mix the gravy thoroughly into the meat.
- Boil until gravy thickens.