This recipe is easy and fun. You can change the spices to fit your own tastes.
- 1 lb white bread (almost 1 whole loaf)
- NOTE: wheat bread tastes sweeter when used in stuffing
- 3 – 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced, dried onion
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Coat the bottom of a steamer pan or jelly roll pan with olive oil.
- Grind spices together and place into a shaker.
- Slice 1 lb (almost a whole loaf) of bread into 1″ cubes.
- Use a serrated bread knife and gently saw the bread into strips. Do not smash the bread when you slice it.
- It is easier to slice 4 or 5 slices in one direction then tear the strips with your fingers.
- Slice into a large bowl, do not add directly to the pan.
- Stale bread slices easier than fresh bread.
- Pour the bread chunks into the pan and quickly toss to coat evenly in the olive oil.
- Shake the spices over the bread chunks, tossing them a couple of times to evenly coat them with the spices.
- Cook for 60 – 90 minutes, lightly turning every 15 minutes, until dry.
- Store in an airtight container.