Skip to content
- Spaghetti squash strands circle around the middle (not end-to-end). if you cut the squash around the middle, you will get longer strands.
- The skin on a spaghetti squash is very hard to cut. Using a standard knife can be dangerous. Use a serrated or bread knife instead.
- 2 lb. Spaghetti Squash
- Try to get a squash that is light in color and hard
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- 12 cloves of garlic (thinly sliced) or 6 teaspoons of prepared minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the ends off so the squash stands without rocking.
- Cut the Squash in Half with a sharp knife.
- Saw through about 3/8″ of the skin then turn the squash and repeat until you get all the way around. When you get all the way around, cut the restof the way through.
- Place the squash halves in a glass casserole dish.
- Mix the oils together and smear all the newly exposed surfaces with oil mixture.
- Distribute the garlic evenly over all the newly exposed surfaces.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper evenly over all the newly exposed surfaces.
- Bake for 60 minutes until the meat starts to separate from the rind.
- Remove from the oven and chill in a cold place (refrigerator / freezer) for 2o minutes so it is cool enough to handle or just grab a silicone oven mit and go for it.
- Scrape out the spaghetti with a fork. You should be able to scrape out everthing but the outermost skin.
If you want to save and toast the seeds:
- Soak the seeds and strands in cold water for a few minutes.
- Massage small portions of the strands in your hands, squeezing each portion to pop the seeds out (Insert Animal House quote, here).
- The seeds will float to the top.
- Place the seeds in a bowl.
- Cover the seeds in about 1/8″ of kosher salt.
- Add water to cover the seeds.
- Soak the seeds overnight before toasting in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the water from the seeds.
- Place the seeds on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes. During this time, the seeds will dry.
- Stir the seeds and bake for another 5 minutes. During this time, the seeds will heat up.
- Stir the seeds a second time and bake for another 5 minutes. During this time, you may hear popping like popcorn as the steam inside the seeds is released.
- Remove from oven, cool and eat.