Adapted from a recipe at Food 52. I added spices and changed the tomatoes and substituted ground pork for ground beef.
Makes 1 gallon (freezes well)
- 1 pound ground pork or beef.
- 1 pound Italian sausage (recipe on this site)
- 6 ounces sliced pepperoni (sliced in 1/4″ strips)
- 1 large white onion
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 56 ounces crushed tomatoes (2 cans)
- 30 oz. tomato sauce (2 cans)
- 12 oz. tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Put 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large pot and saute onions until soft.
- Remove the onions.
- Brown ground meat and sausage.
- Add the sauteed onions and remaining ingredients.
- Simmer partially covered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.