- 2 Tbsp warm water
- 1 pkg (2.25 tsp) quick acting yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar
- 5 cups bread or general purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup lard
- 1/4 Cup Melted Salted Butter to brush on top
Need to try with 1/4 cup sugar
- Place the warm water (105 – 110 degrees), yeast, and sugar in a bowl and let it sit for 5 – 10 minutes until it starts to foam.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk in a separate bowl and let it set. (homemade buttermilk)
- Combine the rest of the dry ingredients in another bowl. Whisk together.
- Place half the dry ingredients in the food processor with the dough blade attachment.
- Add the shortening and pulse until the shortening makes rice-sized pebbles.
- Pulse in the remaining flour.
- Pulse in the wet ingredients. Stop when the dough starts to form a ball.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 5 days.
- Remove chilled batter and fold and roll it out to 1/2″ thick 5 times.
- Roll it out and cut biscuits.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook touching in a dutch oven, cast iron skillet or oven safe skillet.
- After 5 minutes, brush with salted butter.
- Bake another 12 – 15 minutes until brown.
- Brush with butter.