From Half Baked Harvest – saved here so we can try it at a later date. :
- 1 pound small to medium potatoes (Yukon or Russet potatoes)
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup chicken broth or dry white wine
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) salted butter
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- rrange the potatoes:
- Place the potatoes in a casserole dish with a lid.
- Pour over the apple cider and wine/broth.
- Cover and roast for 45 minutes, until very soft.
- Mash/smash the potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Remove the potatoes from the casserole dish and place them on a baking sheet.
- Using the back of a fork or a potato masher, smash each potato.
- Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil.
- Arrange slices of butter on top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle each with parmesan, garlic powder, sage, and thyme.
- Roast until the potatoes are crispy, about 20-25 minutes.
- Spoon the butter and sage over the potatoes.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, sprinkling the crispy herbs over the top.
- Additional Tips:
The recipe suggests making up to step 3 and refrigerating if you need to travel. You can roast them once you reach your destination.