This is my second try at a great breakfast sausage for 2021. The other recipe was way too salty and way too spicy.
I went back to the drawing board on this one to get the ratios in line.
Adjusted based on 2 lb test on 4/19/2021
INGREDIENTS – 2lb recipe:
- 2 lb ground pork butt
- 2.5 teaspoons salt
- 0.75 teaspoons black pepper
- 0.5 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1.5 teaspoons sugar or brown sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 0.1 teaspoons ground cloves (1/8)
- 0.66 teaspoons baking soda (1/2 + 1/8)
- 2 Tablespoons lard or bacon grease
INGREDIENTS – 4lb recipe:
- 4 lb ground pork butt
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 1.5 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2.5 teaspoons sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 0.2 teaspoons ground cloves (1/4)
- 1.32 teaspoons baking soda (1 + 3/8)
- 4 Tablespoons lard or bacon grease
INGREDIENTS – 10lb recipe:
- 10 lb ground pork butt
- 12.5 teaspoons salt
- 3.75 teaspoons black pepper
- 2.5 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 5 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 7 teaspoons sugar or brown sugar
- 5 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 0.5 teaspoons ground cloves
- 3.3 teaspoons baking soda (3 + 3/8)
- 10 Tablespoons lard or bacon grease
- Cut Pork Butt into 1.5″ chunks (or whatever will fit in your grinder)
- Mix spices into into chopped meat.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Grind twice with large grinder plate.
- Refrigerate another 24 hours before freezing to allow the flavors to blend.