I tried several methods for making parmesan crisps. I have had many failures.
Here’s what I think I know about making parmesan crisps:
- Never add anything (flour, etc.) to the grated parmesan. Anything you add to the cheese will make the texture firmer and less crunchy.
- Never use pre-grated parmesan because it has additives.
- Grate or chop the parmesan then chop it in a blender or small grinder until it is almost a powder.
- Chop or grate hard parmesan cheese into small enough portions to blend in a blender.
- Grind / Blend the cheese into a powder.
- Use a teaspoon measuring spoon to spoon out heaping teaspoons of cheese onto a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Leave an inch or two between each mound of cheese.
- Use the back of the spoon to spread the cheese, slightly.
- Bake at 375 degrees (400 if you have a convection oven that automatically reduces the heat by 25 degrees) for about 8 minutes.
- As the cheese cooks, it will bubble and heave. The cheese is done when it stops bubbling.
- Remove the cheese from the oven and let it cool a couple of minutes before removing it from the silicone baking mat.