This sauce is light and fresh. It is not a typically sweet, American-style spaghetti sauce.
INGREDIENTS (double recipe):
- Two 28 ounce cans crushed fire roasted tomatoes (or best quality crushed tomatoes)*
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- Cut this in half if your fire roasted tomatoes already contain garlic.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 16 fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- Bring all the ingredients to a simmer in a sauce pan.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- We used an immersion blender to smooth about 2/3 of the sauce and leave the other 1/3 chunky. You could also remove a little over half of the sauce and pulse it in a blender or a food processor to make it slightly smoother.
If making spaghetti, boil noodles for 1 or 2 minutes less. Drain (most) of the liquid. Add sauce to the noodle mix and return to the stove and stir until the spaghetti noodles are completely done (4 – 5 minutes). This will flavor the spaghetti noodles with the sauce.