Brewing black tea leaves at high temperatures can cause bitterness.
This recipe is fast and easy and can be scaled to make a LOT of brewed tea very quickly.
These instructions are for half a gallon but they can be scaled up to make larger batches.
- Place 1 quart water into a pan on the stove.
- Pour 1 quart of water into a separate container.
- Bring water to a boil. (or use a thermometer to measure when the water reaches 190 degrees and you can skip the next two steps).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in water from the separate quart until water temp is reduced to 190 F. (About 1 cup).
- Add 2 family tea bags or 6 singles.
- Optional – Add 1/8 tsp baking soda and 1/8 tsp citric acid
- Steep 15 minutes
- Squeeze the tea from the bags and discard.
- Add remaining water