Makes 1 gallon. Total carbs = 1 gram per ounce (Blue Bunny Vanilla is 3.75 grams per ounce) Serving Size is about 5.33 oz so this recipe is under 6 grams or carbs per serving.
I use fasweet liquid sweetener in a lot of keto recipes. It works well if you use it at about half the rate they recommend on their website.
1/8 teaspoon of fasweet =
1 teaspoon of sugar 2 teaspoons sugar
1 Tablespoon of fasweet =
1/2 cup of sugar 1 cup sugar
Next Steps: Try adding 1 Tablespoon of gelatin dissolved in 2 oz of Vodka to the mixture just after you remove it from the heat. This should result in a softer ice cream. May also want to try using coconut oil instead of MCT oil (it may be easier on the stomach). We could reduce the carbs further by using 1 quart of cream and no evaporated milk (cook the eggs in about half the cream and add the rest later). If we reduce the water and increase the fats it should make the frozen ice cream softer.
- 2 Tablespoons fasweet (liquid saccarine sweetener)
- 3 Tablespoons Salted Butter
- 2 cans evaporated milk (76.8 g. carbs)
- 4 eggs, separated (2.4 g. carbs)
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream (0 g. carbs but verify on label)
- 1 quart 2% milk (47 g. carbs)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup MCT Oil (or MCT oil powder)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the evaporated milk and egg yolks.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to cook the eggs.
- Remove from heat.
- Add to the ice cream freezer can.
- Start the freezer with ice and rock salt in it to cool the mixture and melt some of the ice.
- Beat egg whites and xanthan gum until soft peaks form. I use an immersion blender for this.
- Test the temperature of the cooked mixture. When it is cooled, pour the remaining ingredients into the ice cream freezer can.
- Process in the ice cream freezer until it becomes firm.
- Transfer to the deep freeze to finish.