This is what happens when I down two dirty vodka martinis, grab a pencil and start adding ingredients from a bunch of old meatball recipes and tossing the ones that didn’t sound absolutely necessary. (Martini Recipe)
I have been experimenting with substituting sour cream for milk and buttermilk in old recipes. The results are pretty amazing.
These meatballs are flavorful and moist. They are definitely worth the effort. You can sautee these meatballs in spaghetti sauce or cream sauce before serving or just eat them by themselves. Mangia, Mangia.
- 1 celery stalk (finely chopped)
- 1 Medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Cup of Italian Style, seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 Cup of sour cream
- Reduced from previous recipe to make a firmer meat ball that can be hand rolled.
- 2 lbs of ground beef and pork mix
- I found some at Kroger
- You can also use 1 lb of ground beef and 1 lb of ground pork.
- 1/2 cup shredde parmesan cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1.5 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/4 Cup of brown sugar (packed)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Alternatively could be baked in the oven or smoker.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Thoroughly hand-mix the meat together in a large bowl.
- Chop the onion and celery in a food processor (you want it very finely chopped)
- Thoroughly hand-mix all the ingredients into the meat.
- Cover the bottom of a large cast-iron skillet or dutch oven with oil.
- Heat the oil to medium-high (hot but not so hot that the oil burns in the pan.)
- Use a small ice cream / cookie scoop to scoop balls of the meat mixture into the hot pan. Leave a little space between the meatballs to make them easier to turn. These will be very fragile and easy to break.
- Fry the meatballs about a minute on each side (turning with a metal spoon). They should be dark brown on a couple of sides.
- Scoop the meatballs out and onto a jelly roll pan or glass casserole dish. They will be greasy so a cookie sheet might make a mess in the oven.
- Continue this process until all the meat has been browned.
- When the baking pan is full, bake the meatballs in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.