Cookie glazes are firm to hard frostings that are typically used to frost cookies or cinnamon rolls.
Wilton Buttercream Frosting:
Good consistency for piping. Add milk to thin this for frosting the surface of cakes. Frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or frozen for up to six months. Frosting will need to be re-mixed after thawing.
If you are frosting a cake:
- Chill the cake before frosting.
- Apply a coat of thinned icing (a crumb coat) to lock the crumbs to the cake.
- Chill the coated cake in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to firm up the crumb coat.
- Finish frosting with thicker frosting.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (note: darker colored extract may tint the frosting. If making white frosting, use clear extract)
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine (softened) (note: for pure white frosting, you may want to omit the butter and double the shortening. The yellow in the butter can tint the frosting)
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
- Gradually add milk or water; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Royal Icing is harder and easier to decorate with. It uses Egg whites.
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar (keeps it white longer and adds some acidity)
- 5 large egg whites (pasturized – store bought) 11-12 Tbsp. or make sure your eggs are pasturized and marked with a red P on top.
- 1 large egg white = 2-3 Tbsp pasturized egg whites or 2 tsp meringue powder and 2 Tbsp warm water.
- 1 tsp lemon extract.
- 1/2 tsp per cup to use for outlining
- 1.5 – 2.5 tsp per cup for top coating.
- 2 – 3 tsp for flooding.
- In mixer with whisk attachment.
- Mix on low and it will be a dingy white.
- Turn up speed for 1.5 – 2 minutes and the color gets whiter and the icing thickens.
- Now it is the consistency of gingerbread glue.
- Add lemon extract
- Add food coloring (color sets better in thick icing before you thin it)
- Add water