Skip to content
- 1 gal water
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Prepare a brine
- Heat the brine until the solids dissolve and the oil incorporates.
- Set the brine to cool to room temperature.
De-bone the chicken
- Cut off the wings at the second joint (leave one wing bone on the chicken).
- Break the ends of the drumsticks by hitting them with the back of a large knife about 1″ from the end. Do not break the skin.
- Cut behind the wishbone and pull it out.
- Place the bird breast side down on the cutting board.
- Cut through the skin along the spine.
- Pull the meat away from the rib cage. Cut if you need to but pull if you can.
- Work your way to the joints where the wings attach to the ribcage and cut the joint.
- Cut and scrape along the bone until you can pull it out.
- Work your way to the drumsticks and do the same thing.
- You will leave the ends of the drumsticks on the bird and cut them off before serving.
- If the tenderloins come out separately, grab the tendon with a towel and scrape the meat away from it.
- Place the discarded parts in a stock pot, cover with water, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 4 – 6 hours to make chicken broth.
Brine the chicken
- Brine the Chicken for 4 – 6 hours
Create the stuffing
- Sautee ingredients before adding to breading or other dry ingredients.
- Stuffing can include spinach leaves, mushrooms, sausage or whatever.
Stuff the chicken
- Lay the chicken flat on a cutting board, skin side down, and dump the filling on top of the chicken.
- Spread the filling evenly over the chicken.
Tie the chicken
- Wrap the chicken around the filling, using the skin as a container
- Tie the chicken tightly together around the filling with kitchen twine.
- Cook or freeze the chicken immediately after stuffing.
Cook the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cover the sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the chicken in the oven and cook, undisturbed for an hour and 15 minutes if fresh.
- If frozen, cook the chicken covered for one hour and 45 minutes
- Un-cover the dish and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the doneness of the chicken. Remove the chicken from the oven when the internal temperature of the chicken and stuffing reaches 165 F.