Note: A single batch of this recipe will fill a 9 x 9 baking dish and a double batch will fill a 10 x 15 jelly roll pan.
- 1 cup raw slivered almonds
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Spray a jelly roll pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper or use a silpat.
- Spread chopped almonds in a single layer on top of the parchment paper.
- Toast the almonds in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes then set aside.
- Butter the inner sides of a 3 quart pot to prevent sugar crystals from forming.
- Add butter, sugar and salt to the pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat whisking constantly until the temperature reaches 290-300 degrees.
- Remove from the heat and gently stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over chopped almonds.
- Let the mixture set for 3 – 4 minutes before sprinkling chocolate chips on top.
- After a couple of minutes, gently spread chocolate into a thin, even layer.
- Sprinkle on the chopped pecans.
- Place candy in refrigerator to cool for 2 hours.
- Lift the parchment out and break the candy into serving size pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place.