Skip to content
- 5 lbs meat 12% fat
- 2.5 Tbsp pickling salt
- 1 tsp pink cure by weight
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp celery seed ground
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1.5 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1.5 Tbsp black pepper ground
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp corn syrup solids
- 1 cup soy protein concentrate
- 1 cup water ice cold
- Chill meat to 34°F (1°C), grind one time through a 3/16” (5 mm) plate.
- combine ground meat with remaining ingredients, mix well until mixture is sticky and batter like.
- Stuff meat batter into 22-24mm prepared sheep casing (or 21mm smoked collagen casing), twist into 18” (46 cm) links, refrigerate product overnight to cure.
- Next day, hang sticks in preheated 130°F (54°C) smoker, vents wide open, hold at this temperature for one hour.
- Add wood chips, close vents, gradually raise (in half hour increments) smoker temperature to 170°F (77°C).
- Hold at 170°F (77°C) until snack sticks reach an internal temperature of 152°F (67°C)*.
- Upon reaching 152°F (67°C), remove sticks, shower with cold water until internal temperature drops to 110°F (43°C).
- Hang snack sticks at room temperature for 1 hour to bloom.
- Refrigerate up to 7 days or vacuum seal and freeze up to 6 months.