This is my attempt to create a samosa recipe from various web recipes.
Credits and References:
Note: Dry spices weigh about half of their actually volume of water. So 15cc weighs 7.5 grams. When you buy spices, you buy them by weight so beware.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (15cc)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander (7.5cc)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cardamom (7.5cc)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper (7.5cc)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (5cc)
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves (2.5cc)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (2.5cc)
- ¾ cup coriander seed *
- ½ cup cumin *
- 2 tbsp pepper *
- 3 inch cinnamon *
- 5 black cardamom *
- 1 tbsp clove *
- 5 bay leaf *
Do I add turmeric? Is it just for color? I think you add powdered tumeric at cook time.
Garam Masala from Mix:
I purchased a mix of spice from the Asian food store because it was much cheaper than purchasing the spices individually.
I added some ingredients that were not present in the mix.
I made approximately 200g (half the bag) or 400cc per batch.
- 200g by weight (or about 2 cups) Garama Masala Whole Mixed Spices
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 4 dried red chilli
- 5 star anise
- 2 mace
- 2 nutmeg
- 2 tsp fennel
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- Roughly Grind the spices
- Preheat an oven to 300 degrees (Bake, not convection).
- Place the spices on a cookie sheet in the oven.
- Check the spices every 2 to 3 minutes. If they start to smell aromatic, they are done.
- Remove the spices from the oven and let them cool slightly before grinding.