Several (8 or 10) fresh unpeeled heads of garlic
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Cut about 1/4″ off the stem-side of the head of garlic. You should cut enough that you cut just a little off the top of each garlic clove.
- Peel off the dry paper layers from the heads. Don’t peel so much that the cloves come apart.
- As you peel away the layers, you will probably uncover additional cloves lower on the sides. Trim the top of these too.
- Put the heads on foil on a baking sheet. I have seen some recipes where they place each head, individually into a muffin tin but that sounds like a lot of work and cleanup so I don’t do it.
- Pour olive oil into the cut portion of each head of garlic.
- Wrap the foil up around the heads and push it together to form something that looks like a big Hershey’s Kiss.
- Bake for 35 minutes. The cloves sould be dark and soft at this point.
- Remove the pan from the oven and carefully open the foil and let the garlic cool.
- You should be able to squeeze the garlic cloves out of the heads. (EWWW).
- I put about 1 head worth of cloves in each small zip top or vacuum bag and freeze them. Roasted garlic is very mild so I end up using 4 or 5 times as much as unroasted garlic in a recipe.