I made this for 2021 Christmas Lunch. The Balsamic Glaze was an afterthought because the dish needed more acidity. I think it could use even more.
We didn’t have parmesan so we used a wine infused sharp cheese. We used a zester to grate the cheese. We tossed in some of the grated cheese and then grated more on top.
We did 2 lbs of sprouts for 9 people and we had some left over. Not everyone likes them.
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Pinch of red pepper flakesaze
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 6 ounces slab bacon, cut into lardons
- Parmigiano-reggiano, for topping
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (test)
- Balsamic Glaze
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise, from top to bottom.
- Toss the sprouts with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the red pepper flakes on a baking sheet.
- Put in the oven and roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Toast the pine nuts on a separate baking sheet in the oven for the last 5 minutes of roasting the sprouts.
- While the sprouts are roasting, put the bacon in a small saute pan with a splash of olive oil and bring the pan to medium heat.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the pan.
- Toss the roasted Brussels sprouts with the crispy bacon and toasted pine nuts (and apple cider vinegar – test).
- Using a peeler or grater, shave or grate a few slices of parmigiano on top.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze.