Makes 6-8 Pancakes
Mom’s recipe was good but I had trouble with the mixture sticking to the griddle and I think I had increased the baking powder too much somewhere along the way. The ratio was double the normal 1 to 2 teaspoons per cup of flour (see the Food Trivia post). I also had a hard time creating light brown pancakes that weren’t doughy inside. This recipe starts on the stove top and ends in the oven.
- 1 cup of general purpose flour (173 grams)
- 2 tsp baking powder (10 grams)
- 1 tbsp sugar (15 grams)
- 1 tsp salt (6 grams)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a large cookie sheet.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the liquid ingredients in a 4 cup measuring cup.
- Whisk liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Transfer to the batter to the measuring cup to make it easier to pour.
- Cook on a griddle over medium heat until bubbles form and pop near the center (2-3 minutes).
- Turn and brown other side for 15 seconds.
- Transfer the browned pancake to the cookie sheet.
- Finish browning the rest of the pancakes.
- Place a pat of butter on top of each pancake.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.