I leave the skins on the potatoes when using a pressure cooker or instant pot. The pressure cooker makes the skins soft so I just mash them in with the potatoes.
- 3-4 lbs of russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Put 2 cups of water in the pressure cooker.
- Add a rack to keep the potatoes off the bottom (I use a collapsible vegetable steamer) .
- Scrub the potatoes under running water with a vegetable brush.
- Cut out any obvious bad spots.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters.
- Add the potatoes to the pressure cooker.
- Bring the cooker up to pressure.
- Cook for 10 minutes. (Add 5 more minutes for around 5 lbs.)
- Use the quick release method.
- Discard the rack and almost all of the water.
- Place the potatoes back into the pot and mash in the butter, salt and pepper.
- Add the milk and finish mashing until smooth.