We adapted this recipe from one we found on thecountrycook.net. It is very good. We may try other recipies from this site.
This recipe uses a crockpot but I think you could make it faster in a double boiler.
NOTE: It is very important to use semi-sweet chocolate chips and not the sweeter versions. Other chips make the drink too sweet.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 6 cups whole milk (we use 2%)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- mini marshmallows, for topping
- Dissolve the cocoa powder in a cup of warm milk.
- In a 4-quart (or larger) slow cooker, combine the other ingredients then stir in the milk and cocoa powder mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.