- 1/2 block (7 oz) of tamarind paste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 32oz bottle of ketchup
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (ground)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- Pour 1 1/2 cup of boiling water over tamarind and let it soak.
- Sautee onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Mix together all other ingredients.
- When water has cooled, mash tamarind with fingers (or work it with a potato masher while the water is still hot).
- Work tamarind paste through a screen/mesh strainer and scrape off into sauce.
- Blend sauce with an immersion blender.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Keep refrigerated.
NOTE: Makes 64+oz. (Save your 32oz ketchup bottles).