- Take your butter out of the refrigerator at least half an hour before you place it in the mixer so it can soften before you try to mix it.
- Alternate between the dough hook and the mixing paddle as you mix the recipe. This helps break down the butter and it keeps the powdered sugar from spashing out of the bowl.
This recipe makes about 3 cups or 1.5 lbs.
- 1 lb butter
- 2 cups brown sugar (ground to a powder)
- 2.5 Tablespoons ground cinnamon.
You can make a double batch in a 5 qt. mixer.
- Create powdered, brown sugar by grinding sugar in small batches (about 1/3 cup) in a coffee grinder.
- Stir in the ground cinnamon.
- Warm butter to soft (near room temperature, not runny)
- Use the dough hook to break up the butter sticks.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Mix very slowly until most of the sugar is incorporated.
- Switch back to the mixing paddle and finish mixing the ingredients.
- Mix until the sugar and butter are combined and there are no spots of pure butter.