I decided I wanted a more savory version of meatloaf. I decided to try a to make a meatloaf that tasted more like Salsbury Steak.
- 2 medium onions
- 1 lb potatoes or frozen shredded hash browns
- 2 small (4 oz.) cans of mushrooms
- pieces and stems are OK
- substitute same qty. of sauteed mushrooms in butter.
- 2 teaspoons Worchestershire Sauce
- 1.5 cups dried seasoned stuffing mix.
- 1 beef bullion cube (crushed/ground)
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Grate onions and potatoes and microwave until soft.
- Or use grated onions and 2 cups frozen hash browns.
- Let the mixture cool slightly.
- Add the bread crumbs to a food processor bowl and process until the bread crumbs are between the size of a grain of rice and a pea.
- Add the following to the food processor bowl:
- The onion, potato mixture
- 2 small cans of mushrooms with juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- salt, pepper bullion (crushed/ground) and granulated garlic.
- Process the mixture until combined.
- Hand mix all the ingredients into 2 lbs ground beef. Try to fold the ingredients in and don’t overwork the meat.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and add ingredients.
- Bake uncovered (350 degrees) until 160 degrees in center.
INGREDIENTS GRAVY SAUCE:
Makes about 2 cups.
- 2 Tablespoons of fat
- (butter and / or meat grease)
- 1/4 cup (by volume) of flour
- 4 oz. can mushroom pieces and stems with liquid
- substitute same qty. of sauteed mushrooms in butter
- 1.5 cups beef or chicken broth
- 2 beef bullion cubes (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon pinch dried thyme
INSTRUCTIONS GRAVY SAUCE:
- Make a roux with the fat and flour. Cook until slightly brown.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook until thickened.
- Add gravy to top.
- Bake another 10-15 minutes.